This walnut and Brussels sprout pesto is delicious, full of fibre and simple to make. Pair it with some sourdough bread and a fried egg for a gut-nourishing breakfast. After trying this recipe you’ll never buy store bought pesto again!
- 125g Brussels sprouts (trimmed)
- 1 small handful fresh basil
- 2 large handfuls rocket
- 1 large handful curly kale
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 75g parmesan
- 75g walnuts
- Juice 1 lemon (45ml)
- 160ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt & pepper (or to taste)
- Sourdough toast (or bread of choice)
- Fried egg
- Topped with chilli oil
- Place your green ingredients in a food processor with half of your extra virgin olive oil and blitz into a rough paste. Add your remaining ingredients and blitz again until you get your chosen texture. Then season to taste.
- Serve as a toast topper with a fried egg and topped with chilli oil.
- Cover leftover pesto with extra virgin olive oil to create a seal, allowing you to keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Calling all sourdough lovers! Is there anything better than freshly baked sourdough.
There’s more to wholegrain sourdough than the delicious taste too!
Sourdough fermentation has been shown to lower the spike in blood sugar levels, vs non-fermented wholewheat bread *full disclosure: this is based on a single study so far, and there is variation between people.
To find out more about the benefits of Sourdough.. read our blog on Sourdough appreciation.