Quick and easy to make, these bite-sized truffles are perfect for breakfast on-the-go, a mid-morning snack or as a post dinner treat (for you and your microbes).
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted (if you aren’t using Medjool, soak the dates in warm water for 20 minutes)
- 25g macadamia nuts
- 60g chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 25g unsweetened cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp almond butter (nut butter of choice)
- a pinch of salt
- 50g -75g ground almonds
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the dates, macadamia nuts, 20g hazelnuts, extra virgin olive oil and water to a food processor. Mix until you are left with a paste.
- Add in the remaining ingredients: vanilla, cacao powder, almond butter and a pinch of salt. Blend again until everything is combined.
- Slowly add the ground almonds until the mixture begins to form a large ball, scrape down the sides to ensure everything is blended.
- Use a lightly oiled tablespoon to scoop out the mixture, roll into balls using your hands. Transfer to the prepared baking tray, then dip the truffles in the remaining 60g of chopped hazelnuts.
- Ready to eat straight away, or leave for 30 mins for a firmer texture.