A delicous plant-based alternative to a classic family favourite, this hearty lasagne is an excellent way to pack in those veggies and it’s perfect for a mid-week family meal!
- 400g cannellini beans
- 500ml milk of choice
- 1 aubergine, sliced lengthways into sheets
- 1 medium courgette, cut into thin rounds
- 200g kale, woody stems & leaves removed, chopped
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 500g tomato passata
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 lasagne sheets
- 30g soft goat's cheese (or feta)
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 30g parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven at 200°C fan/gas mark 6.
- For your béchamel sauce, add the extra virgin olive oil and chopped onions into a saucepan on medium heat. Cook for a couple of mins and then add your garlic, cannellini beans (along with their soaking liquid) and milk. Cook for a further 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- While your béchamel simmers, prepare your vegetables.
- Set your béchamel to one side to cool. Once cooled, add 20g parmesan and blitz in a high speed blender (if you don’t have a blender, you can mash your beans roughly with a potato masher).
- To layer, lay your sliced aubergine across the base of an ovenproof dish. Evenly spoon a layer of passata and sprinkle with some fresh chopped basil. Add a single layer of lasagne sheets and coat with your béchamel. Season each layer with salt and pepper. Add a layer of courgette, cover with passata and basil, top with lasagne sheets and béchamel. Now add your kale and repeat the previous steps until you reach the top of your baking dish.
- Top your final layer of lasagne sheets with a generous portion of béchamel, cover with goat's cheese (or feta) and remaining parmesan. Sprinkle any chopped basil you have left on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 mins, or until golden and bubbling. Leave to rest for 10 mins before portioning and serving. If you have any old bits of cheese or herbs hanging around in the fridge, throw them in!