Making a colourful, fresh, omega 3-fuelled salmon poke bowl at home is a must during the summer. And this one in particular is filled to the brim with what is known as the Super Six: vegetables, fruits, wholegrains, legumes (beans and pulses), nuts and seeds and herbs and spices.
Poke bowl Super Six
- 2 cups pearl barley, cooked (or grain of choice)
- 1 cup edamame (green soy beans)
- 1 cup or 1/2 large mango
- 1 cup or ¼ large cucumber
- 1 cup or 1 pickled radish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Coriander for garnish
For the marinade
- 2 x fillets sushi grade salmon, cut into cubes (or fish of choice)
- 1 tsp soy
- Inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lime, juiced
Avocado yoghurt sauce
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp plain live yoghurt (we used Bio&Me Original Prebiotic Yoghurt)
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt to taste
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Add the diced salmon and set aside in the fridge.
- Mix the avocado, yoghurt and salt in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Divide pearl barley between two bowls and top with the marinated salmon and the rest of the veggies.
- Garnish with sesame seeds & coriander, if desired. Serve with the avocado yoghurt sauce.
A plant is a food that has been grown. There are six main plant groups, which we call the Super Six: vegetables, fruits, wholegrains, legumes (beans and pulses), nuts and seeds and herbs and spices. Researchers at the University of Bergen found that eating across the Super Six can add up to a decade of healthy years to your life.
When it comes to gut health, studies have linked omega-3 intake with increased gut bacteria diversity as well as with microbes that produce the gut-loving short chain fatty acids (SCFA). These clever little SCFAs in the gut (especially one called butyrate) are thought to play a role in protecting us against things like bowel cancer, diabetes and depression.
Want to see this recipe in action?
Fancy another Omega-3 rich dish? Check out this Wild Alaska salmon traybake. This winning combo has layers of earthy flavours rounded off with creamy goat’s cheese and it’ll give you a whopping 14g of gut-loving fibre per portion.
Check out the full Bio&Me Range