This recipe is inspired by traditional Irish wheaten bread. With crunchy crusts and a deliciously moist and dense crumb – you’ll never need to buy bread again.
- 300g wholemeal flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 200g live thick yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 100g grated carrot (approx. 1 large carrot)
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Mix half the flour with the yoghurt and 100ml of water. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to ferment for around 3 hrs (keeping it out of direct sunlight).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- When you are ready to bake, mix in the remaining ingredients, using a butter knife to combine. Be careful not to overwork the dough as this will make it tough.
- Gently turn the dough on to a lightly floured baking tray and bring it together into a loaf shape. Score a cross on top with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until golden, and check that the base is dry and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Place on a wire rack and let it cool completely.