Enjoy this wholesome and flavourful root vegetable gratin with white bean bechamel as a delicious side dish or a satisfying main course. It’s rich in nutrients and gut-friendly ingredients to support your digestive health.
- Root vegetable gratin
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1-2 long sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3-4 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3-5 small beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 400g of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 300ml milk of choice
- 150g yoghurt (we used Bio&Me original yoghurt)
- 1 tbsp freshly minced thyme, divided, plus more for garnish
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp miso paste (optional but adds depth of flavour)
- Goats cheese (optional topping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a blender or food processor, combine the drained white beans, yoghurt, milk, minced thyme and miso. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a large baking dish, layer half of the root vegetables with the minced garlic. Pour half of the white bean and yoghurt mixture over the vegetables, spreading it evenly.
- Add the remaining root vegetables on top in nice rows. Pour the remaining white bean and yoghurt mixture over the second layer of vegetables, ensuring even coverage. Sprinkle the blitzed cashews for a delightful crunch.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the gratin is golden brown and bubbling.
- Top with goats cheese if using and garnish with additional fresh thyme before serving.
Check out the full Bio&Me range.