With a deliciously diverse mix of lentils (3 different kinds!), butternut squash, plus flavourful herbs and spices, it’s an easy way to get 11+ different types of plant goodness all in one.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 750g butternut squash (approx 1 medium size), cut into cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced & halved
- 1 can of chickpeas (400g), drained & rinsed
- 80g yellow split peas, rinsed
- 150g red lentils, rinsed
- 80g green lentils, rinsed
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- Fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Multi-seed flatbreads
- Live coconut yoghurt
- Brown rice
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat, then add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, along with the onion.
- Sauté the onion for a few minutes, then add the garlic and red chilli.
- Next, add the ground turmeric, cumin seeds, ground coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder, tomato puree and salt.
- Add the butternut squash cubes and carrots, coating evenly in the spices.
- Pour in the coconut milk and tinned tomatoes, mix together and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, split peas and red and green lentils, then top up with vegetable stock and mix together.
- Leave to simmer for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Finally, once cooked, add the spinach and mix in until the spinach has wilted.
- Serve with brown rice, multi seed flatbreads and a dollop of live yoghurt, to your taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice to serve.