When the days get colder, this moreish beetroot tart is rich and warming to enjoy. The earthy beet flavour combined with wilted greens and spices is a treat for your taste buds… and your gut bugs!
- 110g (1 cup) oats, ground into flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) gram flour
- 1 date, finely chopped
- 70g (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 90g white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 30g (1 cup) rocket
- 30g (1/2 cup) kale
- 100g (1 small potato), grated
- 130g (2 small beetroots), grated
- 4 large eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk of choice
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and grease a 20cm / 8-inch springform tin.
- Blend the oats into flour in your blender, and add the gram flour, salt, dried herbs and chopped date. Pulse to combine and mix in the extra virgin olive oil. Add the water a tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.
- Press the dough into the tin, extending it about 4cm up the sides. Poke the base with a fork a few times and bake for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, heat a pan over medium heat with the extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, until softened, then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the balsamic vinegar, stir, and remove from the heat. Stir in the rocket and kale to wilt slightly and set aside.
- Place the grated potato in the base of the baked crust in an even layer. Reserve a small handful of the grated beets, set aside, and add the remaining beets to the tart. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and spices. Stir in the onion, kale and rocket mixture, then pour into the tart base. Top with the reserved beets around the edges.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the centre of the tart is firm.