A hearty, delicious and nutrition gut-loving Greek baked beans made with mixed beans and spices. Its great for a crowd!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (400g)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 600g butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 250ml water, boiled
- 150g chard or spinach, roughly chopped
- 50g kalamata olives, or any black/brown olive
- a handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 35g feta, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 180C / 350F. Heat the extra virgin oil in a large, shallow casserole dish or ovenproof pot, then gently cook the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, smoked paprika, oregano and 250ml of boiling water, and bring to a simmer. Stir in the beans, greens and olives and then put into the oven for 20 minutes or until thickened and bubbling.
- Top with crumbled feta and fresh parsley!